1. Treshelle Edmond, a Deaf actress from California who signed the national anthem, Star Spangled Banner, in American Sign Language (ASL) at the Super Bowll!
TRESHELLE EDMOND STANDS PROUDLY AT THE SUPER BOWL XLIX STADIUM
2. SB210 passed! Thanks, Senator Galgiani, for sponsoring the bill and Governor Brown for signing SB210 into law.
STATE SENATOR GALGIANI LEARNS HOW TO SIGN "GOOD LUCK" FROM NYLE DIMARCO
3. Assembly Member James Gallagher who signed on the Assembly floor in support of SB 210 which brought unanimously bipartisan support. He revealed that he has two Deaf brothers!
ASSEMBLY MEMBER GALLAGHER STUNNED EVERYONE WHEN HE SIGNED ASL
4. Spring Awakening from California's Deaf West Theater goes Broadway in New York!
SPRING AWAKENING DEAF CAST INCLUDES TRESHELLE EDMOND!
5. Once Upon A Sign classic stories told in ASL won the Series of 2015 award from the Family Review! They were produced by a Deaf-owned California based publisher, DawnSignPress (DSP).
ONCE UPON A SIGN DVDS WON SEVERAL AWARDS
6. ESPN did a year-long coverage about California School for the Deaf's winning football team in Fremont.
THOMAS VANDERSCHOOT, A CSD FOOTBALL PLAYER, DOES A VICTORIOUS SHOUT-OUT
7. Language Equity and Acquisition for Deaf Kids (LEAD-K) goes viral. Nyle Dimarco and Deanne Bray are the campaign's spokespersons to spread awareness about importance of language acquisition for all Deaf kids.
DEANNE BRAY AND NYLE DIMARCO WORK TOGETHER FOR LANGUAGE EQUALITY
8. CNN Films did a story about a four-generation Deaf Family, the Pedersens, from the Bay Area!
CSD FOOTBALL TEAM CAPTAIN ZANE PEDERSON'S FAMILY WAS FEATURED IN CNN BY ANDREW JENKS
9. Switched at Birth will continue for another season on ABC Family!
SWITCHED AT BIRTH FANS ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO ANOTHER SEASON!
10. Nyle DiMarco wins the America's Next Top Model title in Los Angeles on December 4, 2015.
THE LAST ANTM WINNER AND THE FIRST DEAF ANTM WINNER!
It is a wonderful way for us Deaf Californians to close the year of 2015! We look forward to many more exciting
break-throughs in 2016!
California Association of the Deaf Board of Directors
Julie Rems-Smario, President
Marla Hatrak, Vice President
Deanne Bray, Secretary
Dodi Ellis, Treasurer
Matthew Sampson, Director of Membership
Kavita Pipalia, Director at Large, Southern California
Shelley Stout, Director at Large, Northern California